Monday, July 3, 2017

Death of an App

Sorry I haven't written in a while. I have been busy in a new job that has a lot going on.

Anyways, two of the apps that I reviewed and recommended have sent e-mails that they are closing up shop and will no longer provide service as of August.

These apps are Pact app and Heirloom.

I was a Pact app user for multiple years and I'm sad to see it go but I could see the writing on the wall as the weekly reward for completing healthy activities went below $2 a week to as low as $1.20 (I could be wrong but that's what I remember).

This isn't the first time that I have had a favorite app go away but I feel like app companies have done a much better job of communicating ahead of time to its users. They never really explain the "why" but I guess we can deduce that it is a lack of making money. I understand why they can't tell users the whole story but I'm sure some us would be interested.

In the past I have had apps that were bought up by other companies such as Sunrise Calendar by Microsoft. They use the technology in another one of the company's apps, in this case Outlook.

Losing an app that you really enjoy is kind of like having an acquaintance or coworker pass away. It's not the end of the world, just sucks.

I'm a bit worried about Evernote, they've been sending a lot more e-mails about their Premium features and they changed their paid features pricing about 9 months (that's a guess) ago.

Anyways, if you have an app that you lost. Tell me about it in the comments. If you have an idea about something to write about let me know.


No comments:

Post a Comment